Books for fire affected Victoria

I just found out about a book appeal at Borders. In short donate a good quality book to them (or buy a new book as a donation) and it will go to a school or library in a fire affected area. What’s more, Borders will match your donation with a cash donation of the retail value of your book (as if new) – the money will also go towards restocking the schools & libraries.

Getting books back to those communities seems important to me –  a chance to ‘get away’ from the fires for a little while and give a sense of normalcy to them, plus helping those children learn.

I also like this idea for those of us who are given already and can’t give much more even if we want to. Donating books you don’t need doesn’t cost you anything but could make a huge difference to those who lost everything in the fires earlier this month.

I hope Borders have a lot of boxes to collect these books…

** The red cross is still taking donations if you prefer to donate cash.

7 Responses to Books for fire affected Victoria

• Lillian Mcgrath says:

This is an excellent idea!
    We have a lot of primary library books in excellent condition and have been looking for somewhere to donate them to the bush fire affected or disadvantaged schools.
    We do not live close to the suburban areas of Sydney or Melbourne areas but on the NSW/Vic border.
    Does anyone know where we can deliver our books?

Thanks

Sorry Lillian, I don’t know of anywhere except Borders that is officially doing this – here is a list of their stores if it helps http://www.borders.com.au/stores.asp

If there is a general collection point near you for the fire relief, perhaps they could also take your books? Borders is working with the Dept of Human Services (Victoria) to actually distribute the books if that helps.

I hope you find somewhere as a pile of primary books would be much appreciated, I’m sure.

Just one thought – ask your local scout group(s) Lillian. I know Scouts Victoria is in touch with all adult members about coordinating help so they may be able to offer you a solution – or start a book drive themselves!

• Lillian Mcgrath says:

Thanks Tash for all the ideas, I will check them out.
    I have also contacted the Department of Education in Victoria so that may be another avenue.

Thanks Again.

• Maria Speerin says:

07.08.09 Hello! Is Borders still collecting good condition books for bushfire libraries? or do we need to drive to the area to donate Thank you

HI Maria,

Unfortunately, Borders has finished their drive and haven’t publicised how many books were involved. I can only suggest contacting a library or school in an affected area and offering any donations directly to them. Good luck!

• Pingback: Library Disaster Recovery: 2009 Victorian bushfires