When surfing around sites and blogs, you occasionally come across a site without an About Us page. To be honest, I don’t always look at an about us page anyway, but it really annoys me when I want to and there isn’t one there to look at.
Why do I want to look at an about us page sometimes?
- I may want to know where they are based, and the contact us page doesn’t give enough information
- I don’t understand something on the site and want to check a fact. For instance, if I am unsure if they do consultations as well as sell a product/service, I may check the about us page for details
- if I want to contact the site/business owner (for example to suggest a joint venture or acknowledge something), I like to use their name and an About Us page is the obvious place to find their name
- An about us page usually gives me an idea of the size of the business which can sometimes be important
- I can get a better sense of who is behind the site/blog which can develop my trust/their credibility, or at least give me an idea if the person is speaking as an expert in their blog or just sharing their opinions
I also know many people who really like to know who is behind a business before they deal with it – they want personal stories on the about us page and would even prefer a photo of the owner and key partners/staff.
So, do you have an about us page on your site or blog?
As writing About Us pages is one of the most common web content requests I get, I really should post some tips for writing (or improving) your about us page!