Well the title says it all really – it is important to reply to the comments left on your blog.
I just read a blog post today that had a dozen or so comments from various people, including a question for clarification on an aspect of the post topic, without one reply from the blogger. The post was a few weeks old so she’s had time to reply – and the post was actually about how to deal with negative blog comments!
So what happens when you don’t reply to comments people take the time to leave for you?
- you look arrogant and rude, especially if you’ve written any questions or invitations for responses
- you miss the opportunity to discuss the topic further and get others’ input
- you miss the opportunity to show further knowledge, expertise and generosity by answering questions that come up in the comments
- you appear lazy and/or disinterested in what your readers have to contribute
- you give other people the last word – and if their words are negative it could damage your brand
- you don’t give the impression that you want to build a community which is a large aspect of blogging in the first place
- you reduce the number of back links from your site (people won’t be inspired to comment and leave links if you aren’t answering them) which hinders your SEO potential of a blog
- answering comments and engaging in a healthy discussion often gathers momentum and additional attention (e.g. people share the link via social media and bookmark sites) so a lack of comments may limit your exposure further
- you may just miss out on building relationships with some great people – some of whom may become clients, suppliers or friends
So I go back to the title of this post – reply to the comments people leave on your blog. And reply as soon as practical, too.
What do you think when you see a blog without replies to comments?