Finding hares in your bathroom

I admit the only times I have seen today’s words used incorrectly is in bathrooms or children’s writing, but is a bathroom notice less important than any other business communication?

Putting up a notice in your public bathroom as part of a policy of keeping them clean and pleasant for all users is fine and can communicate more than the words on the paper. However, a very different message can be conveyed with signs like:

Please keep your hares out of the basins

and graffiti replies such as

Then provide some rabbit hutches for us

But hairs are ok in the basins?

So for the sake of all of us using public bathrooms with hair issues, here are today’s definitions.

Beautifully styled hairhair [noun]: a long protein fibre produced by animals (mostly by mammals) from follicles in the skin. Humans consider head hair as part of our appearance whilst hair is important for warmth and survival in many other animals. Similar strands (such as on plant roots) are also called hairs.
Jenny brushes her hair every morning before leaving her room.

Hare with brown hairhare [noun]: a mammal belonging to the genus Lepus, similar to rabbits
The hare is related to the rabbit but does not have burrows for its young and is generally larger.

My tips for remembering which is which – hares are like rabbits while hair is in the air.

7 Responses to Finding hares in your bathroom

A lesson on the meaning of hare vs hair would not be expected in a bathroom. This is a humorous reminder that we can see words spelled wrong just about anywhere. I can picture people making “funny” replies in writing on the rule sheet or bathroom wall when they saw hare used in place of hair.

I would love to say otherwise, but I can find spelling and grammar errors in many places! Mistakes such as this one can be amusing, but I wouldn’t want to be the one who made them 🙂

I have seen the hares mentioned in at least a couple of bathrooms, sad to say, and the reposes usually are funny! Sadder are the people responding to the comments with “huh? What do you mean?”

• Godric says:

That is a very good point you mentioned. Now-a-days I see most of the public bathroom notices have these grammatical errors. Thankfully most of the times they do change it when the error is pointed out. But still it would be nice if, most of the people can make sure before making the notices.

• anotherspaceman says:

It’s sadly just a reflection of generally lower educational standards across the board. These notices are just a mildly funny tip of the iceberg. And I disagree with onlinebusinesgal that they’re intentional.
    Ok, maybe if left with a little cartoon to that effect, but taken on it’s own, it’s merely something spellchecker failed to grab.

I think it’s very sad too. Some of the examples I have seen were hand written – they didn’t even take the time or effort to type it up let alone use spell check.

The original signs are definitely not intentional, but some of the replies see the mistake and are very deliberately pointing it out.

• ranjitrgeorge says:

Kudos to the writer for thinking such a eye catching title!! For a moment even I was stumped. Reactions apart, thanks for posting such a good grammatical post!!!